Friday, April 20, 2007

Blogging right from MS Word 2007

I guess this post is somehow against Web 2.0 practices that we are talking about it here in this blog J however experimenting Blogging right from MS Word is something that I wanted to do. Well, I guess so far it's been easy to setup the thing and get it to work. When you click on new post for the first time, you get a pop up that asks you whether you want to setup your blog or not. Then it is just one easy step of entering your username and password. You can also specify an Image server provider as well. They only problem is after you setup your account you get this another pop up that tells you, using this method for blogging someone might be able to read your information "including username and password" which is a bit scary for me.

Let's move on to the functionality. Well, I guess one of the things that I like about this method of blogging is that you can also do it when you are not online which makes it simple in many cases. One of the things that I don't like about blogger is the fact that when you right a draft the post date would be actually the data that you wrote you initial draft. I like the post date to be exactly when I post it. The background spell check is also interesting. I guess this one is not specific to MS Word it would be a feature in all offline blogging tools.

I like the fact that you can also manage your account and have several blogs. Editing functionalities are also cool specially the fact that you have the headings to use very handy.

Now let see why I am writing this in a Toward 2.0 blog J. Well I guess I sometimes realize that having offline capability is also important. So the whole idea of just being online is still a bit problematic and it would be till couple years. We still don't have enough maturity in online productivity systems even in blogging tools which now have been around for a while. I am really trying to move to some online productivity tools. I really did not find any online word processor yet that gives me what I want. Like most of them are still similar to MS Word 97.

For me one of the functionalities that I really like is to good support for right-to-left languages which I did not see any of them support. Working with tables and images is still challenging and reminds you of office 2000. I am not sure when we are going to reach to the same level of maturity that we have in desktop application on web based applications but for some time still using desktop applications that gives you the same level of collaboration as online applications would make sense. I like to have all my "productivity" tools online and portable one day but right now some of them still make me slow as opposed to "productive".


No comments: