Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Web 2.0 in practice – putting together a project plan

I just tried to use some collaboration features of web 2.0 applications for putting together a project plan with one of my colleagues at university.

Well we started very eagerly with Microsoft Groove. I guess we did not have enough knowledge about value proposition of the Microsoft Groove. Our perception was like we can share a document and work on it together and we were so happy that we no longer need to go to the university during the weekends like they way we always. However after 1 hour we realized that Groove is more of a file sharing program. Although it can be used to provide what they call it a work space for a project it cannot be used for working collaboratively on one document at the same time. However it can be used for keep all the team members sync with others are doing individually. Then we tried to use MS oneNote. To be honest with Microsoft rivals, oneNote is a great tool and I really like it at least when I work individually and gather notes for my research or anything else. It has a very interesting feature that enables you to share a live session and start working on a document collaboratively. We tried it for almost one hour it was great but after that … the problems started to appear. I not still sure was it oneNote or something else that cause couple of crashes on my friends PC and then we always got disconnected and got this message that network is not available. Anyway, after a bit of challenged we moved to Zoho Project. I guess although it is very interesting you find it a bit more complex that required for a simple project plan. We built couple of millstones and task lists but I guess my friend did not find it useful. What I don't like about Zoho project is it is not integrated with Zoho Writer! Yes that's correct. Even if you want to log on to Zoho Writer you have to register one more time and create a new account!!! After trying Zoho we move to google documents. O God, it is slow and you feel you are in nineties in terms of editing capabilities. Anyway after couple of days of challenge, we went to school today and finished our work in physical world as opposed to virtual world. Do you guys think web 2.0 is mature enough that businesses can count on it? I mean, me and my friend both of us are computer and internet savvies and we could not finish a simple 4 pages project plan using collaborative features, how come we expect an office worker to do that?

No comments: